why does my d60 need professional cleaning when it's supposed to clean itself?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,206
Re: why does my d60 need professional cleaning when it's supposed to clean itself?

shelley wrote:

What do you mean by professional cleaning? Are you talking about dirt on the sensor? Sensor cleaning modes built into modern cameras work by rapidly vibrating the sensor. This removes loose particles some cameras will pick up certain spots and mask them out. Not all dirt can be cleaned that way though. Oily particles such as pollen, finger prints and the like will not shake off. Those kinds of marks require manual cleaning. There are various tools for doing this from simple blowers, to electrostatic spinning things to we cleaning swabs. All have their merits. I prefer we cleaning with swabs personally. It is quite simple to do but many are scared to do it, and that is understandable. Dirt can also end up in other parts of the camera so manufacturers and repairers offer services to do it.

It is much like self cleaning ovens, they do stay cleaner but you still have to clean them. If you struggle to clean them you pay a professional to do it for you.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow