Need help deciding on buying a lens tomorrow before prices rise

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
expatAbroad
expatAbroad New Member • Posts: 16
Need help deciding on buying a lens tomorrow before prices rise

Hey everyone,

I want to buy a lens tomorrow before my local dealer increases prices due to inflation. I want to snag lens tomorrow. I've narrowed it down to two and I can't decide. I want another lens that should do a decent job in the evening and night, and equally as well during the daytime and that can be held and used by hand, without a tripod but possibly with a monopod, photos only for now but video in the future. Budget, anywhere from the basic F35mm WR price point all the way to the XF100-400 WR OIS price point.

leaning towards:

Fujinon XF16mmF1.4 R WR or Fujinon XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR

Your input is really appreciated.

Machine: Fujifilm XT4

Current lenses:

1- Fujinon XF23mmF2 R WR

2- Fujinon XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR

3- Fujinon XF70-300mmF4-5.6 R LM OIS WR

4- ???? Can't decide, please help with your suggestions

5 W's + H

Where: Old European City, lots of waterways, sea, etc. Old, very old

When: All times, but I love that crack of light at sunset and sunrise, wake up early just for the thrill of catching the sun

What: Things which capture my attention, I never decide, its as if something is guiding me and I just take a picture. I have no rules (well, except for when people asking on the street to take their photo, expecting me to take a portrait photo with them modeling, yea right, hate that. I like to catch people when they are not looking, so when I do get asked, I say "yes, only if I shoot it my way". They then stand in front of the camera and I say "go away" and that get confused. I have to explain that I don't like posing, I'll take their picture when they are ready, not when they make themselves ready. It has to be organic, natural, not composed.

Who: People caught unaware (when they ask for a photo but never strangers without their consent), animals, buildings, etc.

Why: I find myself completely at peace when I hold my camera and listen to music; just follow my instinct, and not care about how it looks.

How: Using my iFootage Cobra C180 Monopod (super easy to walk around and quickly set up without the weight of a tripod). Free hand also. Also, MANUAL RAW only

(Background stuff, feel free to skip over this)

How I shoot: I'm from the US and live in Europe, in an old, historic, amazingly beautiful city. The entire city and country are a massive picture taking paradise. I'm not a pro but I've learned so much during the pandemic; I quit drinking after years of struggling and other issues. I had already been sober when the pandemic struck and I knew that being cooped up in my apartment without being able to go outside for a walk might awaken urges for drinking so I needed a distraction; man what a distraction photography has thus far been: a happy addiction is what I would describe it. Photography (and repeated attempts) was what has kept me sober (two years and counting), but it was largely the love of photography that had me stay away and enjoy the simplicity of a beautifully well lit early morning.

I'm a teacher and my budget is not great but since quitting drinking I managed to save a lot.

expatAbroad's gear list:expatAbroad's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow