Sold my EOS R body and got EOS R5 plus lenses - Thanks to Chris of dpreview

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lensplay New Member • Posts: 15
Sold my EOS R body and got EOS R5 plus lenses - Thanks to Chris of dpreview

Dear all,

A few months ago, I decided that it was time to sell my Canon EOS R body, together with the RF35mm f/1.8 and the kit lens RF24-105 f/4.0 and the BG-22 battery grip plus two batteries.

The main reason for this decision was, that the EOS R body was loosing value very quickly on the market, and the other one was that I really wanted IBIS and two card slots in my camera.

I was indeed very lucky to get a very good deal for my old gear. Don't get me wrong, the EOS R was a very fine camera, but I didn't like the touch bar Canon introduced with this model. For my style of photography, I much prefer the multi controller.

As of the RF 35 mm f/1.8, it is a quite nice lens, lightweight and non-intrusive, however, especially in low-light conditions, it was constantly focus hunting. Drove me nuts.

The RF 24-105 mm f/4.0 lens actually was a gem. I loved this lens. Highly recommended. The only problem was, that I purchased the EOS R body and the RF 24-105 f/4.0 as a kit set, all together in one big box. And just advice to you all, you better don't purchase camera kit sets at all. Maybe the lens is stellar, but after a few years the body isn't up-to-date any more - and then what? So, you are far advanced, if you purchase body and lens separately.

So, a few months ago, I watched a video of Chris Niccolls about which camera gear he would recommend if money were no object. And he chose the R5 body, with the RF 24-70 f/2.8L, the RF 70-200 f/2.8L (which I already owned) and the new RF 100 f/2.8L Macro.

I was fortunate enough to have the full emotional support of my wife, because everything we purchase, and that was a big one, has to be a family decision.

Now, a few months later, having set up the camera with all its settings and experienced all the performance, we had some amazing results and cool photos.

The lenses are all great. The last time we went out into the mountains in northern Beijing, I just picked the RF 100 f/2.8L on my R5 body, and I was stunned, how useful the lens also is for compressed landscape photography, razor-sharp and lightweight, it is also highly recommended. I've attached a few shots for you.

You would be surprised how much fun it is to use a prime lens in the field vs a zoom lens. A prime lens can uplift your creativity by far. You just have to 'foot-zoom', finding the right angle of your subject, walking forth and back.

Happy shooting! Hope you enjoy the photos!

Lensplay's gear list:Lensplay's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow