Sony 24, 40, 50 G Cupcake lenses are a huge miss

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 1,934
Sony 24, 40, 50 G Cupcake lenses are a huge miss

I like that Sony is thinking out of the box, but these lenses miss the mark of what could have been.  Couple of thoughts...

1. They should have been true pancake lenses.  While smaller than most, these lenses should have been smaller than the zeiss 35/2.8 to be revolutionary.  I would have loved for them to have been the size of the 20/2.8 apsc lens (a lens that already covers most of the FF Sensor).

2.  They should have been f2.0 or faster. Sony again has a great system, but given having the 3 cupcake lenses or the apsc 16-55/f2.8 the apsc lens wins out.  And most of the time the kit 28-60 lens is more than fast enough if you don't want to go the apsc route.

3. Sony should have made the current 35/1.8 and 55/1.8 and 85/1.8 G lenses.  (like the 20/1.8 G).  That would have been an AWESOME small Prime lineup, with great handling.

4. I would have liked a collapsable complement to the 28-60, something like a 60-200. (well since I am dreaming 70-300, with OIS collapsable).  That is a lens that's truly missing from the FE lineup, and even if it were twice the length of the 28-60, it would have been home run.  With that lens in the lineup, you have a real complimentary lineup for the A7C. 
If they come out with the collapsable 70-300 or some other collapsable 3x Tele, AND a 75-85 G Cupcake, then I can where these fit into the line up.   But right now they look like inhabitants of the land of misfit toys.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow