Rqst: to people with a dead Godox battery

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jigal
Jigal Contributing Member • Posts: 595
Re: Rqst: to people with a dead Godox AD200 / V860 battery

tugwilson wrote:

Jigal wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

We recently had a thread where somebody had left AD200 batteries in an unpowered charger for a week and the batteries went flat.

Anyway I take the battery out of my V1 (which I use quite infrequently) as it does no harm to do so.

What is actually the advantage of these Li-ion batteries over low self discharge batteries such as eneloops? I was considering the V860-II but reading these horror stories I'm glad to have picked the TT-685s (and using the price difference as part of the budget for a studio strobe).

This isn't a horror story.

Well, if you leave a battery in a device and they can't be recharged in a normal way then that is pretty bad IMO.

I use Eneloops a lot but not normally in speedlights and I find them a PITA but in many cases they are the best option. I don't use speedlights a lot these days. I have a bunch of TT600 which is how i started using Godox lights. The recycle time is unremarkable and they need changing relatively frequently.

The recycle time is faster than other NiMH batteries which have a higher mAh rating. If a human can notice this then the difference is significant.

I don't keep the batteries in the speedlights. I have 4 TT600s so I have to manage a minimum of 32 AA cells and remember which of the cells are changed and which discharged. I use Storacell packs.

If the task is to separate charged and discharged cells the solution is as simple as two boxes. My eneloops came in plastic cases a bit similar to Starcell packs, so it's very easy to keep sets of four. I do have a decent charger and it takes around 60-90 minutes to charge a set of four.

When I use my V1 I have considerably better recycle time. I only need one battery and that travels in the speedlight.

The only AA cells I routinely use in photography is in triggers and i don't use Eneloops in them. I use Energizer lithiums because I keep the cells in the triggers all the time and they don't leak.

My TT685s is now in use as a trigger (for an MS300) and fill flash for highlights in eyes. The recycle time is now often instantaneous. As soon as the AF of the camera is finished I can take another photo. At 230V the MS300 already has faster recycle times and at 1/2 power it recycles very fast.

I sometimes use a few old Metz speedlights as slaves in optical servo mode. If I happen to leave a few eneloops in them I can be sure that they can be recharged after a few years.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jigal.

Jigal's gear list:Jigal's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow