GRIIIX impressions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 45,156
GRIIIX impressions

Got my GRiiix today from BHPhoto. For context the last GR I own is the GRII.

General

Menu and feature set and interface is the class act I expected from Ricoh. Lots of little details that make sense, cutting out superfluous stuff- greatness indeed.

I already found the GRII to be quite good, this takes it one step further (this applies to the GRIII also I guess).

JPEG/DNG's

JPEGs are nice. Love the options. Love grain options for some B&W. Don't know why some people complain on Positive film changes - I think this one looks fantastic.

Only caveat is I see Ricoh seems to be doing some degree of noise reduction in RAW at high ISO. It's not horrible but I would have preferred a pcointilized with noise file for other RAW converters to tackle.

LCD

No complains there, it's bright. You can set it to hyper bright.

AF

Autofocus def. better than GRII. Not too bad until you start to get into lower light. I see the camera struggling to AF In low light that my m43rds cameras don't (EP7/ EM5.3). But need to see real world how bad it is when out and about at night.

The AF can become notably slower though.

RAW file w/Crops

Iridient Digital Raw converter can open the files from the get go with the field of view / crop you specified at the time of shooting- which I find great.

SnapFocus -

It seems to me the snap focus camera has a delay to respond when you want it. As far as I can remember the GRII seemed to reach take a shot when doing snap focus quicker - i.e. there seems to be a tiny lag when you full press to take a snap focused shot on the GRIIIx.

Not the end of the world but not good because this is a unique feature of this camera. I hope I am doing something wrong.

Highlight Weighted Metering-

so far pretty great - it's like expose-to-the-right shooting.

Positive Film

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - Apparently Selwyn Duke and not George Orwell

Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow