Just For Fun: Assumption about the “Z” mount name origins.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Z6User
Z6User Contributing Member • Posts: 702
Re: Sony was "A"

Lance B wrote:

JohnNewman wrote:

Edward_Thomas wrote:

So Nikon picked "Z"

(Which is pronounced "Zee." You don't say "Ped" for "P," right? )

Or instead of being insular, you could consider most of the rest of the world may have an alternative view?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/10/why-do-the-british-pronounce-z-as-zed/

Good find. Being Australian, we use Zed as well and find it nicer than Zee, which sounds farcical for a camera name, IMO.

The letters B = Bee, C = Cee, D = Dee etc mean to me that there is a lead on to the next letter coming after that particular letter. Zed at the end of the alphabet indicates the end of the alphabet.

As for why Nikon used it? Like another poster suggested, it is the end of the line for the mount, the last and final mount, the best mount. Although, I do like the idea of the "N" being turned 90 degrees clockwise and becoming "Z"

I prefer not think of the Z mount as indicating that Nikon has keeled over onto its side, and expired. Maybe that’s just me.

Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow