DxO PhotoLab 5--your predictions (and wants)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,461
Re: DxO, Nik, and Serif Affinity Photo

OTOH, I see that today DxO also introduced, in addition to PhotoLab 5, a FilmPack 6. I really don't get their long-term strategy here. Or, really, I'm not sure they have one. The Nik tools and FilmPack have a substantial overlap, and DxO doesn't seem to have a huge amount of resources, but they seem to be developing both more-or-less in parallel.

In effect, FilmPack is an add-on for PhotoLab users, while NIK is a Photoshop add-on. FilmPack is built right into PL, so it's just seen as extra PL capabilities, not a separate product.

But IMO Nik, especially my favorite Silver Efex, is far, far more capable than FilmPack. Therefore I'd really like to see Nik integrate with PhotoLab the same way ViewPoint and FilmPack do, for seamless, 100% non-destructive, iteratively-editable operations. The current system between PL and Nik, even with the sort-of 'non-destructive' improvements of a year ago or whenever, is a bit of a kluge.

Could there be an alliance with Serif, providing close integration with the Affinity suite? So PL5 could have some of Affinity's layer-based editing built in, while Affinity Photo 2.0 gets to use a version of the PL5 raw developer.

Although in the last couple of years I've become an Affinity Photo licensee and fan in addition to a DxO licensee and fan, I don't really see them integrating. DxO is French and Serif is (AFAIK) British, and, well, those two countries aren't really getting along these days, especially post-Brexit. Also, I can't really see a way to properly integrate PhotoLab and Affinity Photo short of a full merger of the companies.

The governments don't get on, but that doesn't stop companies from collaborating. But it's a moot point now.

For whatever the opinion of an American viewing things from across the pond is worth (probably not many pence!), the current U.K.-France rift seems deeper than just the governments. See e.g. the spat over French fishing U.K. waters--the fishermen are driving it. My sense is that there's a broader distrust and/or dissatisfaction. Personally, I'd like to see DxO and Serif team up or even merge; I think it would benefit both the companies and the users like me, and the combined efforts would compete better with Adobe. I'm just not holding my breath for it.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow