Photo zine made using only XT3 & Mitakon 35 0.95

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jonathanblanchflower Regular Member • Posts: 225
Photo zine made using only XT3 & Mitakon 35 0.95

Recently made a photobook/zine about Chengdu, China using only XT3 and the Mitakon. It was a super fun and rewarding experience that i'd recommend to anyone looking for a personal photography project. Over the 6 months or so I spent shooting and putting it together I got very comfortable not only with manual focusing but also with being able to think and previsualise quickly in the 50mm equiv focal length. It also gave the book (I think) a consistent feel that helped tie a substantial number of images (80 spread over 108 pages) together.

A note on the mitakon specifically: It is clearly not set up to be stopped down. Where the gap between 0.95 and 1.4 is large enough that a slight bump isn't going to knock off one's exposure considerably, the gaps between the smaller apertures is really quite small, to the point where it's easy to accidentally go from 5.6 to 11 without realising. Also, while my copy can become pleasantly sharp in the corners it only does so from 5.6 onwards. There are definitely one or two images that are smudgier in the corners than i'd like them to be, the cover photo included. Having said all that, there is something really pleasant about the images it produces, and I love the manual focusing experience on it. You really feel like you earned an image when you focus manually!

The xt3 was a workhorse throughout. Knowing that I wanted my b&w images to be punchy, I enjoyed using the presets to create a strong b&w profile while shooting to give me an idea of what my finished image might look like, even if I was going to be editing the raw later. On busy streets the camera was fairly unobtrusive and the shutter not so loud that it bore consideration 95% of the time. on hot days it plus the mitakon could be a little tiring to carry, but not terrible . I should also say that without the camera driving an AF motor battery life was excellent as well!

Overall, i'm very proud of how it came out and would love to hear if anyone else has done something similar!

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow