Rubber ring to zoom 18–135 is completely loose

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,462
Re: Rubber ring to zoom 18–135 is completely loose

contax4ever wrote:

On my DT 18–135 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM I have to squeeze the ring tightly to operate the zoom. If not, the outside ring just spins freely around barrel. Is this failed adhesive or just loosening of the material? Any suggestions to fix? Thanks.

Over time the rubber material stretches or loses elasticity. I've heard of people using their own adhesive (rubber cement, super glue, other adhesives) to get some "grippiness" back.

This service manual for the SAL18135 lens says the rubber zoom ring part # is 4-294-835-01. There also appears to be a rubber focus ring (part # 4-294-796-01).

If you're in the USA, Sony's official parts supplier is Encompass. Encompass says "This item is currently out of stock. 10/26/2021 or 6 days" for both parts (example). This doesn't sound good.

You can also try searching eBay for the part numbers. I did a brief search and didn't have much luck.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow