Wishlist for a new APSC camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aryalg Forum Member • Posts: 93
Wishlist for a new APSC camera

Sony is now set to release A7IV with updated specs, they will have a well-rounded and updated fullframe line-up. With A1, A7SIII, and A7IV having the latest and greatest features. There will certainly come updates for A7R IV and A9 II down the road.

The improved technology has to trickle down to the APSC lineup too. I wish they will update the APSC lineup soon with the advanced technology Sony has been using recently.

My suggestion to Sony is to consolidate the APSC lineup. A6600 successor as the top-of-the-line product for advanced amateurs including action and nature photographers. I hope they name this A70. Then, in the middle A60 succeeding A6400. and in the bottom, A50, replacing or succeeding ZVE10 down the line with no viewfinder to make it pocketable and budget-friendly (sub-1000 USD), similar to A5000 line up.

For the A70, I wish they bring in the following features from my wishlist to cover my hobbyist needs.

• Updated stacked and BSI imaging sensor for high-speed readout, low noise, higher dynamic range, and controlled rolling shutter
  • Increase resolution to 30 megapixels
  • Option to choose small, medium, and large raw sizes (16, 24 and 30MP images)
  • 10 FPS mechanical shutter speed and 20 FPS electronic
  • Improved dynamic range, noise performance
  • Dual gain ISO sensitivity
  • Similar to A7 style body yet smaller than current A7 series (only for A70, A60 and A50 can retain rangefinder-style)
  • Improved IBIS
  • HIEF file format support
  • Improved screen resolution
  • New menu system
  • A1 style flip-out screen - no need for fully articulating screen
  • Improved weather-sealing
  • Dual card slot
  • Improved video features
  • longer than 30-sec slow shutter speed (at least 1 minute)
  • In-camera stacking and bracketing
  • Z battery
  • Around 5 MP viewfinder
  • Priced around 1500 USD for body only.

The current APSC sensor is outdated yet frequently used by sony. I read somewhere Sony will use its latest sensors but it does not seem to apply to APSC while they are letting Fujifilm use newer sensors, while they use the same A6000 sensor with minor tweaks on the latest cameras.

I wish the next release after A7IV should be the APSC cameras as A6600 is already 2 years old and a6400 is over 2.5 years old.

As full-frame and advanced cameras are being priced higher than 2500 USD by major manufacturers, mid-tier and low-tier pricing should be reserved for APSC. A capable APSC camera can still sell well as smaller sensors are slowly losing their ground and I am a believer that APSC is a great balance between size, weight, performance, and price.

Hope Sony reads this. Feel free to comment on what you feel about it.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gaurav
My photos at: https://500px.com/ggauravaryal and www.instagram.com/ggauravaryal

Sony a1 Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow