G7 X ii - recommended?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
sgangker Forum Member • Posts: 90
Re: G7 X ii - recommended?

theworstphotographerontheinternet wrote:

I'm thinking of buying one of these as a take-everywhere camera to complement my APS-C ILC system. General, all-purpose types of shot - landscapes, flower close-ups, portraits/photos of the kids etc.

Would you guys recommend this camera? It looks good on paper, but I've read some negative reviews about jpeg performance - problematic sharpening halos etc. Is this anything to worry about?

I used my G7Xii as a compact walk-around camera. For street, landscape and close-up (not macro) photos, I find them to be reasonable good.

But it is not good for moving subject (kids/sports etc.). It is still using the contrast detection based autofocus (not the phase detection or dual-pixel type). Therefore, focusing speed and subject tracking is still not that fast and good as compared to other brands such as the Sony RX100 series.

The lens on the G7Xii is pretty sharp and sufficient for my usage. There are a lot of reviews which mentioned that the Sony RX100 series are sharper though. But the G7Xii has a wider aperture (F1.8 - F2.8) which is more useful for me as I also used it as a work camera to take indoor site photos where the lighting conditions are not that ideal.

Image quality is ok for me. But it is only a 1" sensor, so definitely not on par with the APS-C ILC camera. So it depends on how much you can accept it.

I will post some photos below which I have taken with the camera. All straight out of camera jpeg. You can take a look and decide for yourself.

sgangker's gear list:sgangker's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS M200 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow