ON1 Photoraw 2022 plugin capability

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,445
Re: ON1 Photoraw 2022 plugin capability

Almazar80 wrote:

It may be sound, but that doesn't mean people have to like it. Had they added the plugins for twenty dollars more over the base price, that would have been fine. As you said, there are few users (from your point of view) that will use the program as a plug in AND as a standalone, so this move makes sense. I am one of those people who would like to use it as a plugin and occasionally as a standalone, so this strategy, with the price difference that they want people to pay, is not a great idea. Then again, I wish them luck with their pricing strategy and product strategy. In my case, I already have Topaz products and the old Nik software. It may be time to get the new version of Nik and get rid of ON1.

I was alsounhappy with this approach.  I planned on upgrading and decided to do so but deciding between the options took some time.  I have always bought the licensed version that included the plug-in.  In fact, I started using On1 all the way back to Perfect Effects 8 when it was only offered as a plug-in.  I still use it that way sometimes when I process the raw first in Elements. Since On1 Raw has improved so much over the years, I use it more and more as my initial processor.   When I do send an image out to the plug-in from Elements, it is often to use the transform feature (lacking in Elements) or add an artistic touch--a textures, for example. I think On1 2021 will serve those purposes well so, ultimately, I decided to get the simple upgrade.  If you like the program in general, I might not be too hasty to leave despite this unfortunate change.  I don't question their strategy, however.  That is their business as a business.  I am solely concerned with how well a type of software helps me and at what cost.  Good luck!

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow