D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,502
Re: D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

primeshooter wrote:

Rich Rosen wrote:

Yeah… you’re wrong on that assumption. While Nikon is the “king of legacy,” they have dipped and then jumped into new tech. Proof of that jump lies not only with what they’ve produced but with what they’ve stopped producing. A number of F mount lenses and cameras are no longer in production. Agreed that part of this change is because of disruptions in supply chain, but that hasn’t stopped Nikon from introducing new Z mount equipment (even if they can’t deliver). I don’t see anything in F mount announcements. And as far as legacy is concerned, there is the FTZ, an adapter that works well with most recently manufactured F mount lenses. Notice I say recent. Older F lenses lose at least some functionality. Nikon does move on.
Finally, there is the profit motive. Paraphrasing Danny DeVito, in “Other Peoples Money,” Nikon does not want to be the last manufacturer of “horse and buggy whips.”

Yeah because their strategy so far is doing so well for them isn't it?

I don't think Nikon knows what it wants.  Part of me thinks that there is actually an old management group within Nikon that DOES want to be the last manufacturer of buggy whips (not a good goal).  And they're battling it out with another group that that is panicked and says "we should have done something 10 years ago.  We can't wait any longer."  And the result is chaos.

The worst case scenario is that they all go down with ship as a result of trying to please everyone.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow