D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rich Rosen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,211
Re: D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

You’re looking at upwards of $6500 for Z 9. Since you are already a sports shooter, you must have some F mount long lenses, right? Nikon doesn’t have any long Z mount lenses, yet. That may come with the intro of the Z9. But with the FTZ adapter, F mount exotics and exotic zooms work great on a Z. 
I shot the D500 for lacrosse and football at late afternoon and night in poorly lit fields, shooting at over 1/1000th at f2.8, using ISOs of 3200 & above using a 120-300 zoom (Sigma); for a number of years. When I shot above 6400, I got some noise, but that was easily taken care of in post. At 12800, denoising softened the image. The point is; even with its issues, the D500 was the best sports action camera I’ve had (which were the D3, and D810). My percentage of publishable images went up by a magnitude of 3, over previous cameras.

If budget is an issue (isn’t it always)., I would highly recommend the D500.

-- hide signature --

Rich Rosen

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow