D500 Quiet Mode

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
bergfalke 4
bergfalke 4 Regular Member • Posts: 177
Re: D500 Quiet Mode

I have typically used Normal VR. Some examples of aircraft photos with the 500PF (and the 80-400 VR) are here .

The shutter speeds are there. A lot of the blur in the air show photos are from atmospheric turbulence / heat haze. It was a sunny day and there was a lot of hot air coming of the tarmac on the taxiways and runway. The 500mm also magnifies my crappy hand held panning....

I have done a lot of handheld shots of birds here . I think if it was a mirror slap problem it would also show up in those. I will experiment with Quiet Mode because I have found a nesting site to photograph and I want to keep disturbances to a minimum. Some time next week will be my next visit.

Some other thoughts: Have you done a fine tune on the focus at all? My copy of the 500 PF was spot on, but my copy of the 80-400 was quite average and needed a reasonable fine tune. The 80-400 is now OK, but had a bad front focus issue prior to the fine tune effort.

Again, I suggest you post a couple of examples or link to the pics so the forum can try and identify what your problem may be.

regards

Anthony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bergfalke4/

bergfalke 4's gear list:bergfalke 4's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow