Costa Rica for wildlife photography in December?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ff9000 New Member • Posts: 8
Costa Rica for wildlife photography in December?

Never been to Costa Rica, so not totally sure about weather situation in early-mid December.

Tentative plan is to visit two places that get high marks for wildlife:

1. Osa Peninsula on the Pacific side
  2. Gandoca Manzanillo on the Caribbean side

I have a few logistic questions for those of you who have done Costa Rica:

1. Is early December a bad idea? December seems to be rainy on the Pacific side, somewhere in between the high wet season of October and the dryness of January. Similar story for the Caribbean side. Not sure if this means two hours of predictable downpours each day or, worse, the possibility of weeklong thunderstorms. The latter would not be good for wildlife photography...
  2. Are these locations good choices for wildlife? Any warnings?
  3. I was planning to fly to San Jose, take a quick local flight to Osa Peninsula, and rent a car there for 3-4 days. The fly direct across to the Caribbean side at Gandoca Manzanillo and rent a car there as well for 3-4 days. Finally, fly back to San Jose and then back to US. Traveling solo and want to avoid long dangerous rides across the country, hence the flights. They are all quite cheap.
  4. Any tips for dealing with the rain while doing wildlife photography, particularly in Costa Rica, are appreciated.

Regarding gear, no questions really but planning to take my Lumix MFT G9, a 14-42mm, 45-200, and of course my favorite the 100-400. No tripod, maybe a small gorillapod. Not sure if I need flash - relatively new to photography and have not really dabbled with it too much. I think this should be sufficient?

Thank you!

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow