Best way to autofocus on a person walking towards me?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
canonbcguy Contributing Member • Posts: 704
Best way to autofocus on a person walking towards me?

I'm primarily an AF-S shooter with my Fujis.   I'd like to capture someone walking towards me using short bursts so that one of the shots may capture the best body position.

With my DSLR Nikons, I would shoot AF-C with back button focus, keeping the focus indicator on the person's body (or maybe head), and just fire away.  This seems to work well enough.

But with my Fujis being of the previous generation or older (X-T2, X-E2, etc.), I was told years ago not to trust AF-C (percentage of keepers are low) and, again, years ago, the tests showed this to be good advice.  I've stuck to AF-S ever since.

I am thinking that AF-S is not the best tactic to use as the 1st shot might be in focus (I use "focus release" with AF-S) but subsequent images may not be.

Maybe things are different with more modern bodies?

What is your experience like with shooting subjects that are closing the distance to you at a moderate pace?  (I know there have been threads complaining about shooting dogs running towards the camera but my situation is not that severe.)

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +38 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow