Recommend a type of TV for displaying photos

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,751
Re: Recommend a type of TV for displaying photos

canonbcguy wrote:

Due to reorganizing our place, I finally get an office to myself. It's the smallest room in the house, with a tiny window with no view at all.

I'm thinking it'd be good to get a large TV to have as a "picture window" showing the many pictures of places I've been.

I haven't bought a TV in over 10 years. The 2 TVs I have are both plasma TVs having looked into them back then and determining that, at the time, they were better than the LCD/LED TVs that were cheaper alternatives.

Today, nobody makes plasma anymore. And further, I'm not really liking how mine are portraying my pictures (colors way too saturated) though they do a fine job of displaying TV shows and movies.

What are some suggestions for a modern TV to display my photos? The audience will be just me. I'm thinking that a 60-inch size is good.

I use IPS displays for my computer and laptop. I like the color accuracy and wide viewing angle when photo editing. But I'm pretty sure there aren't any 60-inch IPS panels that are reasonable in price.

Without looking, I'd expect that to be very true (for what I'd call "reasonable."  .

Should I get a TV that is "4K"?

Been a while since I shopped TVs but would again expect that it would likely be difficult to find a "tv" that isn't 4K these days, regardless of whether you may or may not be able to see the difference.  A quick glance at Costco on-line shows 3 8K, 106 4K and one lower res model in the selection menu.

My eyes aren't that great. An example is that I'm using an inexpensive 32-inch IPS display that is only 1080p (1920x1080). My kids can see the "blockiness" or pixelation of text on this large but "only" standard resolution monitor. And I believe I can see it too if I try hard. But after using it a while, the somewhat "low" resolution of this monitor has not been an issue, certainly not for web browsing and not even for photo editing (though maybe I don't know what I've been missing had I been using a 4K monitor all this time).

Text is different than images (often single color/background and hard edges, etc.), some programs don't scale text well to 4k.  I use an LG OLED 55" tv for viewing at times.  As a computer monitor there is some possibility of burn-in with fixed screen elements (menu bars, etc.), if left on the same settings/display for too long.  If just rotating through full screen images, no problem.  (I have it next to my desktop and monitor so can bring it up as a monitor and share/extend screens if desired.   since my sitting position is set to the desk top monitor, looking across to the far side of the big tv is at best OK for casual viewing, tv watching but awkward, for computer uses, the far edge is 4 ft away.)

Also, with a tv, you would also typically have built in smart viewing capabilities, some streaming capabilities, etc.

So, if using primarily as a computer monitor, I might have some reservations with an OLED tv.  If using essentially just to slide show photos (or view as a tv), I'd recommend an OLED.  Unless things have changed, LG makes all the TV size panels, other OLED tv makers use LG panels but have their own electronics, sound systems, etc.  There is some discussion of use in bright/dark rooms where the different brightness levels of leds versus OLEDs.  I haven't found that a problem for viewing in my room which can have bright window light at times.  OLEDs can be more expensive than LEDs but there are "quality" ranges with the various types and makers.

If it's been a while, you might want to brush up on current offerings, connection types, acronyms used for definition and dynamic range.  Probably not a problem but existing display out puts or cables might need to adapted or replaced, etc.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow