*** October 18, 2021- October 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,003
Re: Update to Greg and Nancy's Excellent Adventure - Part One

v30 wrote:

Awesome. That really tall grass in the 7th pic....do the birds come flushing out of that or do they stay put knowing they're well hidden (unless the dog is right on top of them)?

Those are what I call tulles that grow in the black muck in prairie sloughs and along the edges of prairie ponds and lakes. You literally cannot get through the tulles without a machete. Even if you do, you can step into bottomless sucking muck/gumbo with a couple feet of icy water on top - that is very much life threatening. The more you struggle to free yourself, the deeper and quicker you sink into the glue-like muck. During Nancy's first time out here with me, I nearly lost her to that stuff.  I had to lay down on it to spread out my weight and gradually pull her out at arm's length - she was in water to her neck and in muck to her waist - all bitterly cold. No help within many miles. Frankly we were very lucky that both of us made it out - its not uncommon for the would-be rescuer to go down as well.  She learned about the bottomless muck/gumbo from that experience and doesn't do that anymore.

This pic was her trying to cross a slough just before disaster struck in 2019:

Phez love this nasty stuff and they can run freely through it. The dogs work the birds using only scent in that stuff, sometimes for hundreds of yards. If pushed too hard or if the dogs is within sight, the birds will just flush way out of shotgun range. Eventually, a really good and experienced dog will get the bird to stop and hold for a point, which is what had just happened in that pic - Bliss had a rooster finally held for a point after working it for a long time. Then, the hunter (being very careful not too go too far and get stuck in the bottomless black muck literally crashes into the tulles, making a big noise and the bird (if all goes well) will hear that flush inside of gun range. Nancy shot that bird over the water (just out of sight in the pic).  Bliss pushed through the tulles, went in the water, swam out and grabbed the bird and then, with much effort pushed her way back through the tulles with the bird to hand to Nancy. Pretty cool!

I couldn't get a pic of that, but here are pic from last year of a water retrieve out beyond the tulles:

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow