*** October 18, 2021- October 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,999
Re: Update to Greg and Nancy's Excellent Adventure - Part Two

When we returned home after the very successful day on Saturday, I was tired, more than ready to sit down at my desk to enjoy an adult beverage and to work on the day's images.

We discovered that Bliss, in doing such a great job, had gotten a very nasty barbwire slash in her armpit. Being Saturday night, I knew I couldn't get any medical or veterinary help (very difficult here in the best of times). The elderly, part-time local vet who had sewed up Joy's ugly barbwire cut in the early season was gone - probably hunting or fishing for days or weeks, but it didn't matter, he was gone. So, we irrigated and disinfected her wound as best we could. This didn't stop Joy and Bliss (left and right) from "pointing' the camp rooster early on Sunday morning.

I knew her big, open wound needed to be closed on Sunday, before it was too late to successfully do so. Again, no professional help whatsoever was available. I wasn't a medic, but took first aid training in the Army long ago; and, probably like any combat soldier of that era, had all too much experience in hands-on field-expedient medical care for terrible wounds on people. So, having no choice, and with Nancy's (horrified) help, I cleaned, shaved, sterilized and then stapled Bliss's wound closed (but for leaving an open drainage area) myself. We had no anesthesia. Bliss was co-operative despite the pain I was causing her - she cried, but didn't struggle or try to bite.

I was able to buy some fish tank antibiotic over the counter (a little secret - it is the very same Chepalexin used for humans and dogs that you need a prescription to get) and have been giving her that. She immediately started to lick at the staples, so I was able to borrow a big, setter-sized cone of shame from a fellow traveling bird hunter camped down the road to keep her from pulling out the staples and reopening the wound.

Poor Bliss was the very picture of dog misery in her huge cone after the "surgery."

She couldn't eat, drink or get around without assistance in that huge cone and I didn't want to cut it down because it didn't belong to me. Today (a Monday), I was able to acquire a much smaller cone and poor Bliss is now a little less miserable.

She will not be hunting out here any more this year. I hope that she will now start to heal; and there there won't be an infection from all the thick, smelly, black muck she was working in that day. It will bear close watching. If things start to go bad, we will pack up camp and make the long drive to the nearest decent-sized town that would have good vet services. Hopefully, she will heal in time to be able to hunt phez at home in November.

Sunday, after Bliss's surgery, it was sunny and warm, so we decided to take Joy off the IR and give her a short, relatively easy hunt to see how she does. If both dogs are down, we might as well just leave - you could spend your whole life walking around the backcountry here without a dog and you'd never flush a bird.

Happily, Joy did very well and is showing no ill effects today. Here is Joy pointing what turned out to be a pheasant in thick grass on Sunday afternoon:

A Hun that I took on Sunday - I love the subtle, blue, gray and coppery hues They are very fast and a thunderous covey flush of Huns is like a surprise bomb going off in your face. Plus, they taste very, very good - a delicate, subtle flavor, like their colors.

We are going to leave Bliss in the MH to rest and heal this afternoon and take Joy out for a relatively short and easy phez hunt. I'm still not sure Joy is quite ready for really hard work afield. We'll see how she does.

More later, Red Gods willin'.

Greg

PS - I do most of my posting and such by visiting the little local library that has internet when we have time. It's actually very nice and the people are also very nice as we find generally out here.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
v30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow