Why did you choose mirrorless ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
tonybelding Senior Member • Posts: 1,098
EVF & peaking for manual focus

I wanted to replicate the experience of shooting film on my old SLR (Ricoh XR7, if anybody wonders).  I wanted to use vintage SLR lenses with manual focus and aperture rings, and ideally in the "full frame" 135 Format those lenses were made for.

Although I could put vintage K-mount lenses and (with an adapter) M42 thread mount lenses on my Pentax DSLRs, they were all APS-C and were not available with split-prism and micro-prism focusing screens.  When Katz Eye went out of business, and almost the same time the full-frame Pentax finally (after years of waiting) showed up with a focusing screen that couldn't even be swapped out, that was the last straw.  I clearly wasn't getting what I wanted out of DSLRs.

I got what I wanted from a Sony A7.  I could easily adapt almost any vintage SLR lens to it, and it has  135 sensor, and manual focusing through the EVF with magnification and focus peaking is superb.

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q7 Sony a7 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
lft
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow