Recommended SMC manual-focus lenses.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
left eye
left eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,600
Recommended SMC manual-focus lenses.

Mainly it's the peculiarity of rendering I'm after, character, that seems to have been ironed-out of modern digital lenses (especially lenses for mirrorless). Having said that I do want very good sharpness when closed down to around f4, needs to hold up to current sensor resolutions.

I'd like the all metal body, finely engineered lenses, not plastic AF versions. Though maybe the more recent versions of the MF lenses not the really old, dusty and mouldy ones. Lenses that feel like the current Limited's.

I realise on APS-C I'll be getting 1.5x magnification of FL, so a 24-28mm could be useful though also standard FLs.

I read that the SMC-A 50mm f1.2 is a great lens though is said to be large and heavy, yet it's quoted weight at 366g seems quite reasonable to me. I also read that many don't think this lens is anything special.

I'm thinking a fast aperture lens will be easier to find focus with modern dSLRs, focus snapping in an out more noticeably (modern dSLRs having clearer viewing screens not ideal for MF, rather than the old matte type - and which also had split focusing aids etc). I'll be using the OVF, not live-view focus peaking.

/

Operation? -

I'm not familiar with all the model numbers, so help me out.

Vintage SMC lenses with an A setting means I can set the aperture with a control dial on the KP? - or is the A setting only for use in shutter priority (or ISO priority) modes?

I assume all these lenses have an 'automatic aperture', that stays open when composing, yet closes to the chosen set aperture only at the moment of exposure?

I read also about adapting M42 lenses, but these I'm pretty sure would not have 'automatic aperture' so I'd like to rule them out from the start.

/

I look forward to your recommendations of the very best, and experiences of these lenses...

left eye's gear list:left eye's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-300 Fujifilm GFX 50S Panasonic GH5 Pentax KP +11 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow