Which lenses did/will you skip on a new system?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iljitsch Senior Member • Posts: 1,094
Which lenses did/will you skip on a new system?

As many of us have switched from DSLRs to mirrorless and/or changed to a different camera make, it makes sense to reevaluate our lens needs.

So I was wondering, after switching to a new mount, which of your old lenses did you (or will you) not replace with an equivalent version on the new mount?

I guess to some degree this also applies from moving between APS-C and full frame. Please be sure that somewhere in your post you make it clear which cameras and lenses are APS-C, not everyone knows the sensor size of every possible camera model.

I'll start: I got a "nifty fifty" in the form of an AF 50 mm f/1.8 D with my Nikon D90. I sometimes liked the shallow depth of field of this effectively short tele on an APS-C body, but on my new mirrorless Nikon Z fc (also APS-C) the adapter turns that lens into a manual focus one. Not going to get a new 50 mm, though. I have plenty of lenses that have 50 or 55 mm in their zoom range (but not at f/1.8, of course) and on a crop sensor the nifty fifty just isn't that nifty. For instance, unless you live an a mansion it's usually too tight indoors.

-- hide signature --

I ignore users who quote excessively. LIfe is too short to read the same text again and again.

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z fc Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon D90 Nikon Z fc
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow