D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
noegd
OP noegd Senior Member • Posts: 1,290
Re: D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

TOF guy wrote:

Vincent O'Sullivan wrote:

The SLR was a solution for film cameras that has been almost entirely eliminated in digital cameras. There's no reason not to suppose it is close to being totally eliminated.

How many years it took for Nikon to stop offering the F6? And what is the current share of Z sales compared to F sales? I sincerely hope that dSLRs are not "close to be eliminated" anytime soon, at least until Nikon's MILC market share is enough to sustain the Company or there will be very difficult times ahead for Nikon.

I've long been a die-hard SLR supporter (for its superior AF until recently, but also for the OVF experience), but I am not sure it makes sense for any manufacturer to still actively support DSLRs and related lens lines, especially when they have competing mirrorless product lines.

Nikon will probably keep selling DSLRs and F-mount lenses while inventory lasts (and that's what they probably did with the F6 - the manufacturing must have stopped a while ago), but I'd be surprised if they released any significant new stuff for the F mount.

They restructured and downsized to adapt to the changing environment, I am afraid this does not include further developing the F-mount ecosystem.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile...

noegd's gear list:noegd's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Leica M9 Sony a7 II Leica M10 Sony a9 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow