Why did you choose mirrorless ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 15,995
Accurate AF, exposure, size and silence

Tbamed wrote:

For me I wanted Silent shutter...

DSLRs attract the wrong kind of attention. The make everyone look like paparazzi, and their shutter noise is obnoxious. When I started using a Fuji XPro1, people started chatting and posing instead of covering their faces. It sounds like an exaggeration, but it's true. I lost count of the number of people asking what it was and what film I was using...

I also have an XE2, which is even smaller. It had the same sensor and took the same quality images, but with a pancake lens it would fit in a jacket pocket. It replaced my Nikon D7000, which most certainly didn't.

Another thing I noticed was that focus accuracy was far more reliable in single shot mode (I don't do a lot of action photography). I didn't need to calibrate lenses and I had a much wider spread of AF points. It was also much easier to check focus.

Exposure was also simple. I have a live histogram in the VF, and simply adjust EV comp to achieve the desired ETTR exposure. Could not be easier.

Those early cameras had their issues, but the second and third generations fixed most of them. I sold my D800 shortly after acquiring an Xpro2 because the whole shooting experience was so much more pleasant and the IQ was almost indistinguishable.

Of course, with the Xpro1 and 2, I still have an OVF when I want one. I will admit that I like that and use it quite often. Because the viewing frame is wider than the AoV, it's easier to predict when someone or something will enter the frame. It doesn't surprise me that the Xpro series has become such a huge hit with street photographers.

Which only goes to prove that you can have your cake and eat it too.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
lft
(unknown member)
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow