D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,692
Re: D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

primeshooter wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

My question is why haven’t you, TO, lickity, et.al. left already? It’s apparently clear from your opinions that Nikon will never make mirrorless cameras that beat their DSLR counterparts.

I did not say that. The Z9 very well might.

Or if it does, the fallback reasoning is going to be that it doesn’t match the competition.

As Primeshooter just posted, and I re-posted to Thierry

A recent comment from Ryan Cooper at f stoppers -

I think, for me, as a Nikon shooter the biggest problem Nikon is facing is that it is a really tough sell getting me to jump into Nikon Z. (I am still on Nikon F).

Nikon Z seems like a perfectly good line but it doesn't appear to have anything whatsoever setting it apart to justify the downsides. They claim the larger lens mount design offers optical opportunities that their competitors lack but in reality that hasn't actually come to fruition in any meaningful way. (other than an absurdly expensive manual 50)

Add in the fact that Nikon, as a business, seems to be on awfully wobbly ground which makes me very apprehensive about investing in that platform. If/when I decide to go mirrorless, what does sticking to Nikon really benefit me over switching brands? I can just as easily adapt my existing glass to Sony as I can to Nikon Z. It isn't measurably better. I don't save money by sticking to Nikon. I don't have much brand loyalty.

I like Nikon. I think Nikon Z is a very solid system and can produce world-class images. I just can't justify investing in it. I'm not the only one.

it’s also quite clear that Canon and Nikon are shrinking their DSLR business. A D880 may or may not appear and since the refresh of the pro line is 4 years even a D7 becomes questionable.

I am not looking for a new DSLR, likely never. I bought a 6000 shot D2h about 15 years after it was released. I could do that with a D850 or D6 in 15 years time. And get another 15 years out of them. The D2h still works as good as it did new.

Or are you all going to shoot with your existing gear for the next 30 years?

Or maybe you are all 70 already and are going to ride your gear into the sunset.

Likely neither. I switch to Sony Alpha except a Sony Alpha in Toronto would run be $10k. If that was $5000 or $6000 I'd be gone.

Otherwise, based on what I’ve heard I’m scratching my head.

You may be extracting what you want to hear, not what's being said. As from Ryan Cooper at f stoppers, this IS the new narrative on Nikon by many.

"what does sticking to Nikon really benefit me over switching brands? I can just as easily adapt my existing glass to Sony as I can to Nikon Z. It isn't measurably better. I don't save money by sticking to Nikon. I don't have much brand loyalty."

Nikon dropped the ball by not locking us in. They opened it wide open. How stupid of them.*

*a more than half hearted attempt at an adapter might have helped them on this one. Just a bit.

I mean for most of the target audience of this camera who have lenses like the 400, 500, 600, 800, the current adapter works. Or people who uses the trinity, we have the native lenses, or the adapter works too.

If it seems like Nikon's not targeting the two of you specifically, it may be because they've done enough to lock in the people who matter.

And also if one's heart is set on switching, does it matter what Nikon does anymore? "The adapter's not good enough."
"The AF won't be good enough."

This is entirely subjective. I'm looking forward to see what the Z9 brings to the table. I'm looking forward to the future Z lenses. You may not be and you'll be right to hold that position. I mean the Sony's right there but you're not moving on. You're just stuck here hanging on to the bitterness. Time to move on yo. The a1 should be in stock soon.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow