D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,667
Re: D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

T O Shooter wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

They may drag themselves back into the game. But they'll never drag themselves to the top of the game. That's another ship that has sailed.

Based on? Is there some law of physics that says that Nikon cannot design AF as well as any of its competitors?

#1 - This cannot continue

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/news/nikon-annual-report-dollar262-million-losses-but-new-z-mount-lenses-promised

Another big loss. $262 million.

It won't continue: it's a one time restructuration cost (likely most of it is compensation for workers being laid off.)

I've worked for the same Company for 25 years and "survived" through 7 major rounds of lay-offs. It was a dark period and it was painful to see so many very talented colleagues go. But that's what was required to adapt to changing times. As much as I hate to admit it, my Company has become much stronger because of it. That's what Nikon is doing right now.

#2 More a law of not paying attention to the competitors.

Really? You believe that Nikon is not watching its competitors? The leaked Z9 feature set has "let's meet or beat the R5 and A9II" written all over it.

Let's just say the Z9 is at or better than the D6 AF wise. Very well could be.

But most people don't buy a D6 (or a Z9, Alpha, etc) So now you have to wait for the Z9 tech to filter down to a lessor body. How far is that out - 1-2 years?? Sony and Canon will be that much further ahead again.

Let's put things into perspective. They are further ahead today w.r.t. AF-C. The Z cameras are otherwise holding their own, considering that a Z7 II is substantially cheaper than an R5, for instance.

So in one year the Z6III and Z7III will be introduced and fill the gap, They will also be improved in other ways which we can only speculate. Will they be in the passing lane? Could be. Nikon has done it before.

And the Z lens are just as good as Canon's and Sony's.

I said from the beginning that the Zee AF was not there without ever touching one. I got shredded for that. But in Oct 2021 I am not alone in my opinion. I have been proven right. Even Lance is on board.

And you've got this that Primeshooter just posted. He's been nailing it on his posts lately. (Not that he wasn't before)

A recent comment from Ryan Cooper at f stoppers -

That's just one or two (counting Lance) person's opinions. I can point to many members of this forum who would say the opposite, That does not prove anything one way or the other.

I like Nikon. I think Nikon Z is a very solid system and can produce world-class images. I just can't justify investing in it. I'm not the only one."

We've read the very same concerns when Nikon's flagship camera was the 4MP D2h / D2hs, or the days before the D3 was introduced. Nikon did not look like it could catch up let alone surpass Canon in MP and high ISO IQ. And we know how that turned out. Past history shows that Nikon knows how to turn things around.

We shall see. Right now both you and I have our own different views on what the future hold. Let's have this discussion in one year and see who is closer to reality.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow