EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
grenow
grenow Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Thanks Marco: my 13 Pro is still in Sydney, "preparing to be shipped"... Could you have a word with Apple please?

My view is pretty much in line with yours - and most other commenters - that the current state of iPhone/smartphone photography pretty much does away with the need for cameras that aren't pro/serious enthusiast level. In the right circumstances my R6 and lenses deliver an image quality that phones can only dream of (for the time being), but - and it's a big but - phone cameras can do some things that the R6 can't. Here's an example:

If you come any closer I may have to eat you...

This was my iPhone 11 Pro, on the carpet, under a coffee table, at night. The HDR applied by the phone makes it look a lot lighter than it was. I make no claims about absolute quality here - pixel peepers will no doubt tell me how dreadful it is - but the phone has used its HDR and texture mapping to get a picture that my R6 would have struggled with - and one that is a very good expression of Pickles' character.

In my view, the "future of photography" lies in marrying the computational techniques developed to overcome the limitations of small sensors and lenses with the light capturing abilities of traditional cameras with big sensors and superb glass. The iPhone 13 has an incredible amount of processing power for a thing its size, not just in CPU and GPU, but in lots of silicon devoted specifically to image processing, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. What could Canon do with all that to play with?

An R6 with an A15 inside? Sign me up...

grenow's gear list:grenow's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM Canon RF 70-200 F4 L +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow