Which lens for my Sony A6000?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
earth_captured New Member • Posts: 17
Which lens for my Sony A6000?

Hi,

I have a Sony A6000 with the 50mm f/1.8 OSS and the kit lens. I've been doing photography as a hobby for about six months. I do street photography and nature photography (forests, parks, flowers, etc.). I use the 50mm for almost everything, and I like the sharpness and bokeh, but it's too narrow for some of the photos I'd like to take.

So I'm looking for a slightly wider lens, but I'm not sure what to buy. Would anyone care to give their thoughts? Here's what I'm thinking…

1. Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I actually bought this recently but returned it to Amazon. The sharpness, colours, and general image quality were fantastic, but I returned it because autofocus failed to find focus on a few photos the first (and only) time I took the lens out.

Still, I'm thinking of buying this again, and I kind of regret returning it. The images I took with this lens are some of the best I've ever taken, so maybe I could get used to the poor autofocus? Though I guess I'd have to check every photo after taking it, which would be annoying, and I would miss some "now or never" shots. Another thing that concerns me is that some people claim that the newer A6xxx cameras (as mentioned, I have the A6000) have even bigger autofocus problems with this lens. So if I upgrade the body in the future, will there be even bigger issues?

2. Sigma 30mm f/2.8

This gets a lot of good reviews, some claiming that it's even sharper than the f/1.4, but I can only find it used, which I don't like for a lens I would be using as a main lens. Also, f/2.8 isn't ideal for bokeh or low-light. But it costs a lot less than the others.

3. Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS (SEL35F18)

This gets a lot of good reviews, but many people claim their copy isn't very sharp, with some saying that copy-to-copy variation is high. Also, I already have the Sony 50mm f/1.8, and I'm not sure whether 35mm is wide enough to provide a huge difference in angle of view. Still, 35mm seems all right. And this has OSS, which may be useful because my A6000 lacks IBIS and I sometimes do night street shots.

4. Sony FE 28mm f/2 (SEL28F20)

This is a really nice focal length. From my testing with the kit lens, I think that, of all the focal lengths mentioned in this post, 28mm is my favourite, followed by 30mm, followed by 35mm. However, the following review by Technology Mafia suggested that this lens is even less sharp than the Sony 35mm f/1.8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnAo9cLpb-4

However, there are other reviews claiming that this lens is sharper than the 35mm.

Another positive is that, if I ever do upgrade to full-frame (probably not, but who knows), I would already have a lens for it.

Summary

I'm not really sure what to do. I'm leaning towards buying the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 again and just tolerating the autofocus problems (which Sigma denies all knowledge of when I e-mail them, even though these issues are discussed in detail all over the Internet). Otherwise, I'm thinking of going for the Sony 28mm f/2 because I love the focal length on APS-C (and it would be pretty cool on full-frame too), but is it sharp? People seem to disagree.

Please let me know of your thoughts. 🙂

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow