D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,808
Re: D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

michaeladawson wrote:

My question is why haven’t you, TO, lickity, et.al. left already? It’s apparently clear from your opinions that Nikon will never make mirrorless cameras that beat their DSLR counterparts. Or if it does, the fallback reasoning is going to be that it doesn’t match the competition.

I personally have never said they would never catch up per se. They might. They might. But there is kind of a tumbling effect going on here. There are a lot of moving parts to this. Why haven't I moved? Because for the most part the creme of the crop nikon fx dslrs do what I need them to do, now, today. This is why so many haven't upgraded to any mirrorless camera! Why would I want bodies with poorer controls and Af compared to what I already have...seems illogical to me. That said...having a large investment in nikon is one of the big reasons I have not left the fold. However, it can be a case of wait too long and the gear devalues further meaning a potential system switch would be even harder / costlier to do. When is there going to be a z8 or z7iii which may or may not solve the problems that I personally see with z mount cameras so far? A year? Another two?

it’s also quite clear that Canon and Nikon are shrinking their DSLR business. A D880 may or may not appear and since the refresh of the pro line is 4 years even a D7 becomes questionable.

Yes.

Or are you all going to shoot with your existing gear for the next 30 years? Or maybe you are all 70 already and are going to ride your gear into the sunset. Otherwise, based on what I’ve heard I’m scratching my head.

I am not an old guy at all. But if I wished, these bodies could easily last decades and the fact the 2nd hand market will be rich for them til my passing. It is not something I loose sleep over. Anyway, hope this helps you realise why many of us are critical of z mount but haven't abandoned nikon yet. Heck it may even be some of our critical posts that they read and think - oh yeah that is a dumb idea, just 1 card Slot when yhe competition all have two. Or doh...there is no sensor cover for dust. Or doh the card door flaps open too easily on these puppies and was better on our dslrs, or doh the low light LV feed is terrible compared to the likes of an R5 for astro (personally seen this). I think you catch my drift.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow