Why did you choose mirrorless ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 18,200
Re: Not because it is necessarily better.

Travis Nicky Bombastus wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Travis Nicky Bombastus wrote:

BackToNature1 wrote:

I choose mirrorless because that's where all the R&D dollars are going. Hard to invest in an system(DSLRs) that everyone but Pentax is abandoning.

Cameras and lenses have become terrible investments; they've electronified everything and none of it will last like it used to in the film era.

It explains why you can get 10 years/100,000 miles for a car, but manufacturers won't even stand by their bodies/lenses beyond one year. Nikon used to have a 5 year warranty, but they quietly did away with that.

You can't blame Nikon for that. when I used an SLR, my shutter count was limited by how much film I could afford. When we moved to DSLRs it became much easier to notch up thousands/hundreds of thousands of shots at no cost. Then with mirrorless the technology allows/encourages us to shoot at very heavy fps, use many shot stacking, video etc etc. A modern camera probably gets a 100 times the wear of my 1970s SLRS. Warranties based upon time are a risky business for the manufacturers

You appear to have explained why they've become such terrible investments and laid out a case for why the move to mirrorless has accelerated that.

No wonder you get a mere 1 yr warranty for a $15k super tele.

When they come out with 100fps cameras, will the warranty shrink to 3 months? Time will tell...

maybe it will be like cars.  Car warranties invariably won't cover the things that you know will definitely go wrong given enough use,: exhaust, tyres, brakes, filters etc

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
lft
(unknown member)
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow