Why did you choose mirrorless ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: Not because it is necessarily better.

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Travis Nicky Bombastus wrote:

BackToNature1 wrote:

I choose mirrorless because that's where all the R&D dollars are going. Hard to invest in an system(DSLRs) that everyone but Pentax is abandoning.

Cameras and lenses have become terrible investments; they've electronified everything and none of it will last like it used to in the film era.

It explains why you can get 10 years/100,000 miles for a car, but manufacturers won't even stand by their bodies/lenses beyond one year. Nikon used to have a 5 year warranty, but they quietly did away with that.

You can't blame Nikon for that. when I used an SLR, my shutter count was limited by how much film I could afford. When we moved to DSLRs it became much easier to notch up thousands/hundreds of thousands of shots at no cost. Then with mirrorless the technology allows/encourages us to shoot at very heavy fps, use many shot stacking, video etc etc. A modern camera probably gets a 100 times the wear of my 1970s SLRS. Warranties based upon time are a risky business for the manufacturers

You appear to have explained why they've become such terrible investments and laid out a case for why the move to mirrorless has accelerated that.

No wonder you get a mere 1 yr warranty for a $15k super tele.

When they come out with 100fps cameras, will the warranty shrink to 3 months? Time will tell...

-- hide signature --

“He who establishes his argument by noise and command, shows that his reason is weak.”

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
lft
(unknown member)
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow