EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
KEG
KEG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,740
Re: EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Karl_Guttag wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

What has happened over the past decade for me is the desire to pack around heavy photography gear is over for casual use. When the SL2 came out I bought one based on its size/weight and paired it with EF-S lenses. Namely the EF-S 10-18mm, 15-85mm, 55-250mm STM and a few EF primes. I was spurred to buy the SL2 due to taking a trip to Bangor, Maine. The thought of carrying heavy FF gear nauseated me.

The trip was an absolute eye opener. I packed all my gear in a very small bag. The weight was incredibly light. I had an effective range of 16-400mm in this small lightweight bag. I shot all week and never wanted for hardly anything from a photography aspect. I processed the photos when I got home and was more than pleased with their IQ. Since then I have come to use the SL2 and EF-S 15-85mm for around 85% of what I shoot these days. Even this combination is getting to be larger/heavier than what I desire for many use cases.

If you think a Rebel SL with EF-S lenses is small, you should try Micro 4/3rds. I bought the camera for an "unusual" technical reason (I needed a full capability camera that would fit and have a very short lens-to-sensor distance for optical reasons). An Olympus OM-D III plus a kit of lenses can fit the pockets of a jacket.

As time passes I see more and more photographers who use conventional gear going down the same path as I am. What has got my attention is the MFT based Android cameras that heavily use smartphone tech. I think a variation of these devices are going to become the gear of choice for amateur photographers as time passes. They need refinement but I see more capable versions of these cameras coming as time passes. I expect these cameras to also use 1" sensors making them even smaller and lighter weight. I hope I am around and able to use these devices. IMO, they will be a perfect compliment to a smartphone.

My concern is that there is little to no middle ground. Will there be a way to bridge the gap. The R6 vs. iPhone has more than a little click-bait to it. But then you have to wonder if that question is even being asked, what about a Rebel or RP with a consumer-grade lens? A "consumer" DSLR or Mirrorless APS-C (say Sony)? Just getting started with a body and a few lenses will cost between $1,000 and $2,000. How will they "bridge" if they don't see much better pictures with a consumer kit?

EOS M50 is massive seller and Canon is almost not able to keep any of the Rs in stock, that indicates that the camera market is alive and well.

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow