best printer for photographs

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,450
Re: Disagree on dye and pigment issue

* No current Canon or Epson photo inks will fade in "a couple years". Using the common criteria for relatively harsh light-exposure conditions (450 lux for 12 hours per day), the current Canon ChromaLife 100+ dye inks are probably good for 10 to 30 years, and the current Epson Claria dye inks are probably good for 5 to 10 years. With low light exposure or especially in an album, they may well last far, far longer.

Not true, I had prints that I made on an epson dye photo printer that I displayed in my office cube under the florescent light illuminating my desk area. It looked like the photos you see from the 1960's, faded, low contrast and saturation was bleached after less than 2 years. My pigment prints haven't faded since 2008 since I been using that, and my 4X6 prints are on the cheapest photo paper I can find.

I bet that the Epson dye photo prints in question were made on one of the older printers that did not use Claria ink and/or "the cheapest photo paper [you] can find" reacted with the ink in a way that caused the problem, and on Epson paper the problem would not have occurred.

* Conversely, pigment inks may well "fade ... in our lifetime". At the aforementioned light exposure conditions, current Canon pigment inks might fade noticeably after 25 to 30 years. Current Epson inks test out better, but I'm sure some people here hope and reasonably expect to be alive in 50 years, and may see noticeable fade in Epson pigment prints.

Epson claims 200 years or up to 400 in certain conditions. I don't expect to live past that, do you?

In certain conditions that may be true. But if you look at real third-party scientific testing like Aardenburg's, it's pretty clear that in certain conditions noticeable fading may occur far sooner. It's highly variable.

* Fade resistance can be hugely affected by several things other than the ink: the paper on which the photo is printed, what if any glass or plastic is over the print, the amount of light hitting it (intensity and time), the ozone and other gases to which the print is exposed, etc. IOW, this is a complicated subject with many nuances. Aardenburg and Wilhelm make a lot of great stuff available for free (although with Aardenburg, you do have to sign up). If you really care, go read up.

Yes my statement was generalized but fact is, dyes fade, pigments (being earth products) don't with common sense display and storage.

Third-party pigments, even from reputable sellers, do fade, pretty fast in some cases. Even with Epson and Canon pigments, there's a huge range. And Canon ChromaLife 100+ dye inks have tested out quite fade-resistant.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow