EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,262
Re: EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

MikeJ9116 wrote:

What has happened over the past decade for me is the desire to pack around heavy photography gear is over for casual use. When the SL2 came out I bought one based on its size/weight and paired it with EF-S lenses. Namely the EF-S 10-18mm, 15-85mm, 55-250mm STM and a few EF primes. I was spurred to buy the SL2 due to taking a trip to Bangor, Maine. The thought of carrying heavy FF gear nauseated me.

The trip was an absolute eye opener. I packed all my gear in a very small bag. The weight was incredibly light. I had an effective range of 16-400mm in this small lightweight bag. I shot all week and never wanted for hardly anything from a photography aspect. I processed the photos when I got home and was more than pleased with their IQ. Since then I have come to use the SL2 and EF-S 15-85mm for around 85% of what I shoot these days. Even this combination is getting to be larger/heavier than what I desire for many use cases.

If you think a Rebel SL with EF-S lenses is small, you should try Micro 4/3rds. I bought the camera for an "unusual" technical reason (I needed a full capability camera that would fit and have a very short lens-to-sensor distance for optical reasons).  An Olympus OM-D III plus a kit of lenses can fit the pockets of a jacket.

As time passes I see more and more photographers who use conventional gear going down the same path as I am. What has got my attention is the MFT based Android cameras that heavily use smartphone tech. I think a variation of these devices are going to become the gear of choice for amateur photographers as time passes. They need refinement but I see more capable versions of these cameras coming as time passes. I expect these cameras to also use 1" sensors making them even smaller and lighter weight. I hope I am around and able to use these devices. IMO, they will be a perfect compliment to a smartphone.

My concern is that there is little to no middle ground. Will there be a way to bridge the gap.  The R6 vs. iPhone has more than a little click-bait to it.  But then you have to wonder if that question is even being asked, what about a Rebel or RP with a consumer-grade lens?  A "consumer" DSLR or Mirrorless APS-C (say Sony)?  Just getting started with a body and a few lenses will cost between $1,000 and $2,000.  How will they "bridge" if they don't see much better pictures with a consumer kit?

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow