How I evolved into my Fuji X100f (all X00....)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rsn Regular Member • Posts: 395
How I evolved into my Fuji X100f (all X00....)

Although I am writing this little opinion bit concerning my growth into my X100f camera, I mean it to reflect on all the X100 line.

Like most amateurs, my initial photography was "jack of all trades, master of none." But over time I drifted towards two divergent venues. My travel photography began to specialize into winery photography, mainly in British Columbia. And my urban photos began to drift towards street photography, and even more specifically, towards urban night street photography.

Again back to the beginning days of travel photography, I brought everything but the kitchen sink in my too large, too heavy, too packed photo bag. At the end of vacation trip I would think about how I had used my equipment and I realized that from my "carry everything" bag only some items came out consistently.

So out to buy yet another in a long line of bags, one that would only contain one camera and two lenses. My camera weapon of choice was a Rebel Xsi , one 50mm lens and my beloved (but many don't like this lens) the 28 - 135mm glass. Then I noticed that even though I brought two lens along with me in my journeys', I used one - my 50mm - about 95 % of the time.

The reason I didn't use the 28 - 135mm that much, and you'd think that was the one I would photograph the most with given it's had flexibility, was because I didn't like the weight of it on my camera. I took far more pictures with the fifty since it was on my camera the most. They say the camera you have with you is better than the camera you don't. Well I'm here to say, the lens on your camera is better than the one that isn't.

Flash forward to some cruising and I decided to delete the 28 - 135 lens and in it's stead bring along my 35mm 1.8 lens. Remember these two lenses - 50 and 35 - are being used on an APC sensor so longer equivalencies for these lenses. Because both of these lenses were lighter, I used the two a lot, both on the ship and off. I learned the 35mm was a more effective lens in the ship than the 50 where a wider field of view was required.

Eventually I took a gamble on a cruise and decided to 1) not bring a camera bag, 2) only use my Rebel with my 35mm. I understood I would lose out on some photographs but my instinct was to believe that the flexibility of one "camera, one lens" would give me flexibility and spontaneity that all my other travel gear hadn't offered. I found more gear slowed me down.

Now to street photography, specifically night street photography. I loved the imaging I was getting shooting in the downtown streets of Vancouver at night with all the colourful lights and activity. But my poor wonderful Rebel Xsi just couldn't keep up in the ISO department even married to my Sigma 50mm Sigma 1.4 lens. So I purchased a 5D mk 2 for greater ISO flexibility and superior cropping ability post shoot without the image deteriorating.

But two issues became apparent. First the weight of the 5D mk 2 married with the Sigma 50 f1.4 over the evening outing became more noticeable. You can see a continued theme of weight of my gear becoming an issue over time. And the second concern was the possibility my camera being stolen from me, lets just say I'm a lover not a fighter. A camera the size of a 5D encourages visibility. Some of the areas I shot in were, let's say, definitely on the seedier side of living. Theft and visibility was a big concern.

I have found that for me "one camera/one lens" is the way to go, it may not be for you. When I have one lens with me, I work with what I have, I become so familiar with what it will and won't do, decisions happen quickly. I can decide concerning a particular scene - whether out there in vineyards or on the street or in a ship - how my camera/lens will perform.

Then I learned about the Fuji X100f. I was a Canon guy most of my photography life so I had to get used to the idea of an electronic viewfinder. But my very first camera was a Konica T3, dials and all. And the X100f has lots of dials so there was a form of comfort food in the X100f construction. The X100f was light, it was small, it didn't call out by its very presence, particularly the black version I purchased. With a Peak Design Cuff I didn't worry about theft. And despite what many here say, the camera is pocketable depending on pant/shorts/jacket.

So my X100f is now my go to travel and street set up. There will be times I miss out with certain images, where zooms reign supreme, but I have learned to live with this issue. Yet I have one camera/one lens that I have become so familiar with settings that are almost unconscious. I can look at an individual walking down a dark alley and decided - do I want a silhouette or do I want more detail? And BLAM, the settings are made.

Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow