EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,064
Re: EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Karl_Guttag wrote:

Yes, smartphones have just about killed the market for everything but high-end cameras. This trend has been happening since 2012, and there are almost no point-and-shoot cameras left. The few newish models seem aimed at blogging (ala Sony ZV-1). It is also going to bleed into the more serious amateur photographer market.

If you just want to capture the moment and don't want to be the one person lugging around a bunch of equipment, you use the smartphone. Even with my equipment with me, I will sometimes use my phone to capture shots that the big camera can't (due to size or depth of field).

I used to lug my camera backpack everywhere on vacation, and now I will often just use the cell phone unless there is something special. You can see this at theme parks, only for some strange reason. Some people also use tablets to take pictures of things like fireworks and then block everyone else's view. When things get "tricky" or I need more than 70mm or want more resolution, then I appreciate a real camera. I have bought "pro camera apps" for my phone, and they all seem to suck.

I think this is why Canon had mostly higher-end RF lenses at the beginning. Canon knows there still is a high-end market, and they don't know how much market is left for ILCs for more modest amateur photographers (ala, the Rebel market).

What has happened over the past decade for me is the desire to pack around heavy photography gear is over for casual use.  When the SL2 came out I bought one based on its size/weight and paired it with EF-S lenses.  Namely the EF-S 10-18mm, 15-85mm, 55-250mm STM and a few EF primes.  I was spurred to buy the SL2 due to taking a trip to Bangor, Maine.  The thought of carrying heavy FF gear nauseated me.

The trip was an absolute eye opener.  I packed all my gear in a very small bag.  The weight was incredibly light.  I had an effective range of 16-400mm in this small lightweight bag.  I shot all week and never wanted for hardly anything from a photography aspect.  I processed the photos when I got home and was more than pleased with their IQ.  Since then I have come to use the SL2 and EF-S 15-85mm for around 85% of what I shoot these days.  Even this combination is getting to be larger/heavier than what I desire for many use cases.

As time passes I see more and more photographers who use conventional gear going down the same path as I am.  What has got my attention is the MFT based Android cameras that heavily use smartphone tech.  I think a variation of these devices are going to become the gear of choice for amateur photographers as time passes.  They need refinement but I see more capable versions of these cameras coming as time passes.  I expect these cameras to also use 1" sensors making them even smaller and lighter weight.  I hope I am around and able to use these devices.  IMO, they will be a perfect compliment to a smartphone.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow