Spotted nutcrackers (+ a mild rant..) EM1 mkii + 300mm f4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marko_Finland
Marko_Finland Contributing Member • Posts: 971
Spotted nutcrackers (+ a mild rant..) EM1 mkii + 300mm f4

We'd done a bit of hiking in a nearby national park in the last couple of weekends and I'd tried to find some spotted nutcrackers without any luck. I had heard their calls many times though. This morning we asked a fellow with a birding scope about possible spots to find them and he pointed us to a nearby location. I was a bit surprised to find several dudes with cameras and big sacks on peanuts that were used to bait the birds. We watched them for a while and also took a few photos of the birds but overall this sort of method felt a bit odd so we moved on further to the woods to try and find nutcrackers in another location, which we did. Though I'm inclined to think they were of the same group of birds that were also feeding on the peanuts.

I do have some mixed feelings about baiting birds or wildlife in general for photos. In this case the nuts certainly help the birds to collect food for the winter but on the other hand makes them reliant on humans and possibly compromises their natural foraging habits/skills. I can imagine that peanuts-only diet might also not be quite ideal for them. Without going further to the ethical side of this, I did conclude at least that that sort of bird shooting is not for me.

One of the fellas there was shooting with a big, clunky DSLR and everytime he started shooting, the machine gun like sound scared the birds away

Just as disclaimer, the first shot below is taken at the "feeding station", the rest in other locations in the area.

Marko

Marko_Finland's gear list:Marko_Finland's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow