Flashlight arm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 787
Flashlight arm

Those who photograph spiders with Coolpix cameras, especially during nighttime...

Hold on! What am I saying? Who else, other than me, would photograph spiders and post the pictures on this forum ?!!!

...Anyway, one of the problems they encounter is light, or rather lack of thereof. Regardless whether auto-focus or manual focus is used, one has to keep a flashlight (usually red, not to scare the spider) shining on the animal--holding and operating the camera at the same time.

I built a simple adjustable arm to which I can attach the flashlight and use both hands to operate the camera.The arm uses Manfrotto quick release. The flashlight is attached to the arm using velcro strip, which allows for using different flashlights.

Flash diffuser taken off in order not to clog the picture with too many items. During picture taking it definitely should be put on.

The block of white foam under the velcro strtip acts as a spring holding the flashlight in place.

Maybe somebody will find this idea useful for situations other than taking pictures of spiders...

-- hide signature --

Darius
--
Many people photograph birds. Not many people photograph spiders.
I photograph spiders. I'm a photo-minority...

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow