7D Mark II, AF Microadjustment The Norm?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,206
Re: 7D Mark II, AF Microadjustment The Norm?

WongRQ wrote:

Ray UK wrote:

Some people will say "I have never had to apply MFA to any of my lenses", but I believe they are either very lucky or don't know what they are looking for.

I have had 3 different Canon DSLRs and every one has needed some MFA in varying amounts (the 7D2 included), after all these things are mass produced and the factory focus settings ensure that they are adjusted within their tolerance limits.

Hi, I never needed MFA in my life, but after looking at this, I'm wondering: How can you tell if you really don't need MFA? For me I'd just take a bunch of autofocus shots, and then manually focus to get the best results.

I own 2 lenses, as you can see in my gear list. None of them needed MFA. Am I missing something?

If you are lucky then you might get one that falls in the middle of the tolerance range and is near perfect, otherwise you are going to need MFA to tweak the adjustment ( that is what is there for).

Having said all that, there are also people out there who are making tiny MFA adjustments which make no visible difference to their photographs, but at least it makes them feel better.

Incidentally your R6 would not need MFA because it is not a DSLR.

Are you happy with your shots? Do they look nice and sharp at normal viewing sizes? If so then don’t worry too much. You can do some basic tests just to be sure if you wish, such as taking a picture of some text on a flat surface. I think people worry about it too much in most cases, I know I did in the past. I ended up getting a copy of FoCal just to check. The tool did come in handy later on when one of the AF motors in a lens was playing up. The tool told me focus was inconsistent which I could then pass on to the repairer. Other than that it has shown all my Canon lenses have been very good with all my bodies.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow