Issue with RF 24-105 L

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP f8f8f8 Regular Member • Posts: 192
Re: Issue with RF 24-105 L

I foolishly thought the RF was the third generation of this lens with Canon applying all that they had learned with gen 1 and gen 2 to it. I anticipated the type of performance that people who won the Canon 24-105L lottery by obtaining a great lens had. I didn't/couldn't know that the Canon lottery was continuing  with the RF version of the lens. Canon can produce excellent copies of this lens from reports here and elsewhere. They just can't or won't put in the manufacturing QC specs to make certain that ALL these lenses are excellent or even just very good.

At Canon's request, I have shipped my R5 to them since they state they are unable to reproduce my results. They should receive it in a couple of days. I think it has nothing to do with this issue as my poor copy of the EF version gen 1 produces better results on the R5 compared to my RF version. If the camera was the issue, I would expect my poor copy of the EF lens would produce equal or worse performance. That isn't the case. However, I could be wrong and also do not want to give Canon any excuse to not fix the situation.

In the back of my mind I have been toying with what to do if this ends with Canon saying evrything that I sent them is working properly and is in spec. From the pics I posted above along with the opinions of others here I know that isn't the case (or that their QC "specs" on this lens are far too low). I am thinking about getting a different lens, likely not made by Canon, to be my everyday walkabout lens. My requirements paint me into a corner as I want: uses 77 mm filters or smaller, covers at least 28 - 70 mm with 24 -105 mm preferred, has image stabilization, does not cost a fortune nor weigh a ton, and of course can produce sharp images throught its zoom range across the field of view with only slightly softer corners. Maybe I just want the legendary 12 - 1200 mm f1.0 zoom that weighs one pound, takes 52 mm filters, is razor sharp, and costs $500.00. I don't think that I am being that naive in my original expectations. Unfortunately, Its difficult to know which lenses are sharp consistently in manufacture that don't cost $2K+ and weigh a ton. I would think that an $1,100.00 lens would be made consistently so that it performs at a proper level. Yes, there will always be some variation in a manufacturing process, let alone something as complex as this lens. However, the proper manufacturing procedures and QC should be able to produce lenses with far better performance than the one I purchased.

f8f8f8's gear list:f8f8f8's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow