Focus shift and NEF storage

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Z6User Regular Member • Posts: 439
Focus shift and NEF storage

I’m using the focus shift feature on my Z6 and typically I will have ten NEF files for one subject. I use the Nikon software to convert the NEF files to TIFF files and then use Affinity Photo to focus stack the TIFF files. I don’t use AP directly as it doesn’t apply all lens corrections. At this rate my disks will fill up, so I intend to discard all files apart from the final focus stacked TIFF file. I’m curious what other people do and if there are any significant reasons to keep the original NEF files.

I don’t intend to buy bigger disks. I use a 500GB SSD for the Windows OS and apps, and a 2TB internal HDD for the images, plus several external HDDs for back up.

Z6User's gear list:Z6User's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +3 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow