Why did you choose mirrorless ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
skysurfer5
skysurfer5 Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Re: Why did you choose mirrorless ?

I didn't choose mirrorless.  Mirrorless chose me.  

Seriously...I chose mirrorless largely (but not entirely) for size and weight savings, mostly for hiking.  And, I wasn't coming from a huge FF DSLR with huge FF lenses.  I had an Olympus E-1 and an Olympus E-5.  I liked these cameras, but they and the FT lenses were more than I wanted to carry on a regular basis.  So, in 2019, I bought an Olympus E-M1 Mk 2 and started adding lenses to approximately replace my FT lenses.  In 2020, I added an Olympus E-M1 Mk 3.  My typical hiking kit is one camera, the 12-40 f/2.8, and the 40-150 f/4.0-5.6 "Plastic Fantastic", all of which weighs about 2.5 lbs.  Sometimes I carry more and it's still a relatively light kit.

As far as the experience of shooting, I'm fine with both DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.  However, mirrorless cameras today have some really nice features that don't exist in DSLRs.

The other reason I moved to mirrorless is that my wife, my three kids, my daughter-in-law, and my oldest granddaughter all shoot MFT cameras.  Since I am the "bank of dad" when it comes to loaning equipment, I needed to switch from FT to MFT.    Just yesterday, my oldest daughter borrowed my 40-150 f/2.8 and my 45 f/1.2 to do some family pics in our local mountains.

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?'
…Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
lft
(unknown member)
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow