New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,494
Re: Why did you choose mirrorless ?

mamallama wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

J A C S wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Travis Nicky Bombastus wrote:

The original lightbulb was created over a 100 years ago. It still works. The same cannot be said of mirrorless--and for good reason.

I'll bite: What specifically prevents a mirrorless camera from still working in 100 years?

Not that this is restricted to ML cameras - but good luck finding a battery for it in 100 years. I am facing the same problem now with a fancy Dyson vacuum cleaner - the $100 battery is out of stock and we have to use a good old corded one. Many tablets and phones made now have the same problem.

I know about batteries. The possibility that a specific battery won't be available in the future is just a matter of conjecture. BTW, many cameras can operate on power supplied by AC adapters or power bricks via USB. Hang onto those things for the next hundred years. Maybe you'll need them to operate the camera, maybe you won't.

I assumed TNB was citing some failure of the camera itself. Let's see what he says.

Indeed, because the problem of potential battery unavailability applies equally to DSLRs.

For any battery operated device, even if the exact replacement battery is unavailable a power source can always be devised to drive it if you really want the device.

Certainly, but with what compromises? You don't really want to have to use your camera tethered to an external power source.

Anyway, that's by the by. We agree battery potential future battery availability is no real basis for citing MILCs as an example of planned obsolescence, so presumably there is more to it.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 Nikon D50 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
lft
(unknown member)
YWG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow