Help me upgrade :) Nikon Z6ii vs Sony A7Riii

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Miike1980 New Member • Posts: 1
Help me upgrade :) Nikon Z6ii vs Sony A7Riii

Hi everyone!
I have a Nikon D7100 and looking to upgrade to FF. Id like the new camera to have IBIS to allow some handheld night photography. Besides that, I shoot landscape and some occasional amateur sports. So perhaps something with decent fps.
After some research I am left with 2 potential upgrades : the Nikon Z6ii and the Sony A7R iii. Canon has the expensive R5/R6 and expensive glass.

Bodies are about the same price at my local stores.

One potential advantage, with the Nikon FTZ mount, I believe I could use my Nikon 70-200mm F4, Nikon 35mm f1.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8 lenses with the Nikon Z6ii. Saving a bit a money there. And then could eventually spend on a nice Nikon Z glass. The rest of my lens are unfortunately all DX.

On the other hand, SONY A7riii has a larger lineup of available lenses + good quality third party lenses. It is 42MP vs 25MP for Nikon.

My concern with Z6ii is for my sports photography (nothing professional), I've read in some reviews that the Z6ii has a good FPS but at reduced RAW size (14fps 12-bit vs 10fps 14-bit)? Does that matter much? Its still an upgrade on my D7100!

Some seem to report that the AF/tracking on the Z6ii is difficult at times.
For handheld night/street photography, I've read that the Z6ii IBIS works pretty well.

Would I be disappointed with the Z6ii? Is the hype around the A7riii real? Is the AF/tracking that good? Good enough to tip the scale over to Sony ?

Thanks for your time/help!

Miike1980's gear list:Miike1980's gear list
Nikon D7100
Nikon D7100 Sony a7R IIIA
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow