Red-winged blackbird displaying (advice needed)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
faunagraphy
faunagraphy Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Red-winged blackbird displaying (advice needed)

Processed these for a bird portraits contest and cannot decide which one I should enter.

Which one do you like best, and why?

These are three photos. The last one has been processed in 3 different ways.

OPTION 1: I like the double glint in the eye, and the 'spiky' wing feathers. I do not like that he is sideways. 16:10 crop

OPTION 2: Front-facing, but his gaze isn't as direct and I couldn't crop it to satisfaction. 16:10 crop

OPTION 3A: I think that this would've been perfect, had the branch not been clipping the tip of his wing. Good ol' 4:3 crop

OPTION 3B: Vertical free crop

OPTION 3C: Horizontal free crop + slightly different processing (closer to sunset colors)

Bonus question: Would you consider this a portrait? It tells something about the Vaux's swift (their precision in flight) but I'm unsure if 'bird portrait' is a shorthand for "frame-filling and sharp".

-- hide signature --

Wildlife photography in central and western India, and the Pacific Northwest. Mostly Micro Four Thirds with some Nikon F.

faunagraphy's gear list:faunagraphy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +23 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow