Nikon F100 AF-ON Button Died

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hugh Barstead Regular Member • Posts: 153
Nikon F100 AF-ON Button Died

I don’t really shoot 35mm film any more, but I still have the cameras. Once a year I haul them out to shoot a roll.

This month it was the F100’s turn.

Lost the sync port cap.

Yes, the viewfinder needs cleaning.

Long story short, the AF-ON button has ceased functioning. Everything else works 100%. I reassigned the autofocus to the half press of the shutter button and the camera functions as normal.

I do prefer BBF however, and a broken camera irritates me.

I rather doubt that Nikon still services the F100 or has parts. Even if they did the cost of the repair likely exceeds just buying a replacement F100.

While I’m handy with electronics, small screws and associated soldering, getting at the switch looks complicated, including having to peel back the rubbery outer covering. I’ve never had much success getting that stuff glued back down right.

Worse yet, the only photo I can find of the switch component shows it to be a metal encased unit paired with the AE-L / AF-L switch. It doesn’t look easily repairable, maybe impossible to open without damage.

Maybe it needs a new part from a donor camera or maybe the ribbon cable has become dislodged somehow (although the AE-L / AF-L switch works).

I am asking if there is anyone here who has opened an F100 and can tell me how intricate the task is. YouTube not much help with F100 teardowns.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow