Are my mirrorless adapters secretly threaded?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Eggplantt
Eggplantt Regular Member • Posts: 137
Are my mirrorless adapters secretly threaded?

Hot off the heels of my last thread, something that's been bugging me (which you may have seen yourself, variously)-

Are the annotated parts below a screw thread? If not, then why do they look this way? On the MD -> NEX adapter, the crossed out bit below has the same pattern, but is sloped.

The thread size is 'clearly' determined by the mount- both my NEX ones (MD, EF) have the same size and 'threading'. If you look closely, the PK -> M4/3 one might be slightly finer pitch.

As you can see here (or trust me) - its what I would call the 'perfect' diameter for M42, and you can start to 'rotate' it, but the pitch is much too coarse at 1mm- even T-Mount (at the same diameter) at 0.75mm looks far too large. That is assuming there's a thread there at all!

Would love to get to the bottom of this. Anyone else wondered the same? Adapters with rear mounted filters and such are very costly, so it would be extremely convenient for this to be threading I could use (but have to get a custom step ring made).

Eggplantt's gear list:Eggplantt's gear list
Lenovo Vibe Shot
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow