EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,318
EOS R6 Vs iPhone 13 Pro for Photography (PICS)

I didn't see this posted here (yet) and I only just watched the video online myself just now. As an EOS R6 owner, I took a look to see what the similarities were.  I tend to shoot in naturally lit, low light environments and I occasionally post images online and on Instagram... but my near prehistoric iPhone 6s (whilst fine for my smartphone needs) isn't all that useful in lowlight... if at all. But now I honestly think we've reached a turning point now with smartphone cameras and it's going to affect pricing for dedicated cameras due to an anticipated impact on camera sales. Canon says they anticipate the increase in smartphone sales will reduce the number of available cameras for sale and that this in turn with push up prices as the devices become more specialized.

My EOS R6 camera (right) alongside my old iPhone 6s and EOS M6 camera... .
I recently ordered an Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max myself... around two weeks ago, especially for photographic use.  Ongoing delays with Apple deliveries means I'm still waiting for my smartphone to arrive. But it was a post on another forum here that inspired me to consider replacing my older phone with one that would offer me a waterproof, lightweight alternative to carrying a larger, heavier, dedicated camera with me everywhere I go. If you haven't seen the comparison below, it's worth a moment of your time just to see the side by side comparisons with Still Images. The shots taken with the R6 and the iPhone 13 Pro were nearly indistinguishable. 
So does the iPhone 13 Pro series really present a threat to camera sales? Well, for professionals, no.  Not at all.  But for everyone else, including hobbyists, tourists and simply amateur photographers or even Professionals wanting something else to document their experiences with... oh yeah.  I think we're finally looking at a legitimate tool that merges a slightly larger sensor with three unique cameras.  It's mostly an automatic device.  But I believe it most definitely does bring the Smartphone cameras into the limelight and I've been of this opinion for several months now. If you'd asked me the same question 4 months ago I'd have said 'no'. But technology has now advanced to the point where we're seeing some impressive results for a change that don't need to be shot in daylight to underscore their integrity.  There's talk of current delays for parts costing Apple delays for up to 90 million sales of the iPhone 13.  That will give you an idea of what sort of sales number's are involved. This new video (below) pretty much confirms my earlier opinions on how useful the new cameras are on this particular model of iPhone.  I feel certain that the new Super Macro, Lowlight Ability, Smart Bokeh (due to LIDAR) and even an Ultra Wide plus 70mm lens puts this new device forward.  I have no intention of doing my own side-by-side comparisons but it's interesting to see just HOW SIMILAR the results can be...

There's also a neat webpage that covers a shoot with the iPhone 13 Pro that was shot in a National Park in Tanzania using the ProRAW setting below - and the photographer who shot the images and videos in that link has a few interesting pictures that I was not expecting to see. ProRAW is a pseudo RAW capture that Apple has created but it does emulate a RAW image rather well.
https://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-13-pro-camera-review-tanzania

Below is a collage of Still Images from the iPhone 13 that caught my eye the other day that I posted in another thread. They show what the lenses on the new smartphone appear to be capable of in mostly-ordinary hands. There's also an interesting video showing the lowlight abilities of the new iPhone, though it's not likely to be my choice of device for astrophotography with an EOS R6 or my EOS Ra on hand. What is does show is how useful such a smartphone with cameras can be if you're traveling or just want to shoot in very low light.
The iPhone 13 Pro won't likely replace my EOS R6, even after watching the video above.  But I may be close to retiring my everyday carry of the EOS M6 camera system I use... which is light and portable yet still an inconvenience.  Since I ALWAYS have my phone with me, like most people today, I think it's going to enable me to leave much of my beloved camera gear at home. I recently spoke with a pawnstore owner and asked him if he dealt with cameras at all.  He told me they don't buy or trade cameras because (and I quote): "everyone has a smartphone these days and nobody has any interest in cameras any more.  We can't even sell them".  My local Canon dealer, who used to trade in used cameras, said that this is the first year they've stopped buying or accepting used cameras for trade because "everyone has a smartphone these days".  But that's another discussion... I'm interested in just what the comparison between the R6 and the iPhone 13 Pro camera phone is like.  So far, they are quite an interesting match for every day shots.
I'd be curious to hear what others think of the current balance between smartphones and dedicated cameras these days.  Most of you would have a smartphone already that takes pictures.  But do you see people abandoning camera companies simply because they need to own and carry a smartphone ...yet now they get one with a half-decent camera built in?

A selection of iPhone 13 Pro photographs - posted by the public online (* posted here under fair use policy)

Apple iPhone 13 Pro Camera specs

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Apple iPhone 13 Pro Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow